Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I love wine

I do. I really, really love wine. I haven't drunk much of it since I had children (something in my metabolism changed and now it makes me very, very hot when I drink) but I do like it. When I was in college I could drink 2 or 3 glasses in an evening with no ill effect, not even intoxication (unless I chugged them all in a row). I am now a half glass girl. Any more than that and I am loopy as can be... loopy doesn't work when you have kids to care for.

Wine has always been part of my family's celebrations. When I was very young Grandpa had just retired from the military where alcohol features at all social events and most evenings at home were not complete without a tipple. By the time I was in junior high my favorite uncle had bought into a small local winery. Many afternoons were spent visiting the tasting rooms and vineyards of the local wineries. Southwest Idaho now has it's own geographical designation like the Champagne region in France. Wineries are plentiful and the cultivation of the vines and chemistry of fermentation have always fascinated me.

In college I was blessed with roommates who didn't drink. It was a treat to be able to order a drink at dinner or have a beer at a party and know (really know, not just think) that I had a sober ride home. The funniest roommate/drinking incident that ever happened involved my Mormon roommate- Angela. She was always taking my open bottles of wine out of the fridge whenever I left for the weekend. Apparently she was worried one of her friends from church would come over and think the wine was hers. This was a little bit annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the weekend I came home and found out that she'd used up all of my tequila and rum making margaritas and daiquiris for the guys hanging out at our neighbor's apartment.

I think she was a little bit interested in our male friends. One of them was a devout Catholic. The other one was Mormon. On the surface the Mormon (Jack Mormon that he was) may have seemed like a likely conquest for a good Mormon girl. She maybe should have payed more attention when we called him "my sexually suspect friend." To make a long story short... I don't think either man was likely to convert and become a good prospect for her.

Shoot, my kids have found me and now I must go fix them something to eat. This post has absolutely no deep meaning hidden in it except... I am thankful for the freedom to eat and drink what I wish and enjoy the holiday with family and friends. I am also thankful for Uncle George- bringer of the "good" wine, since my budget tops out at $9.00 a bottle.!

2 comments:

Amy said...

My parents love our local grocery store, it has GREAT sales on some really good wines. Even we now have a stockpile of some good wines. We really like Ironstone Reisling.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

The only wine I've ever had is the kind I get when I ask my 6 yr old to clean his room. Can't for the life of me comprehend anyone spending $9 for THAT!

Jake camping in the living room

Jake camping in the living room