Monday, November 24, 2008

Fate

It never pays to think you've outwitted fate. Never. My whole family caught colds a couple weeks ago. Not me. I didn't get sick when they did. They all started feeling (and looking) better and I congratulated myself on avoiding the nasty little germs. Until late last week. This cold has kicked my rear. I look in briefly on my blog day after day thinking that I really need to write something... but the only thought going through my head is: Gahhh (whimpering softly). Today I feel much more human (although I kind of feel sloth-like too).

We went to a birthday party on Saturday. I volunteered to bake and decorate the cake so we had to go. The birthday family was counting on the cake. My children were counting on getting to attend a party. I was hoping there would be nap time at the party and babysitting service.

Good news. The cake was edible and the decorating, while not top shelf, was passable. There was no nap time or babysitter available but my children behaved themselves and blended seamlessly into the brood of wild Indians running about the house and yard. The lamb was fresh (butchered that morning). The food was interesting and edible (featuring Uzbek culinary delights). The party attendees were varied in age and interest. No one's coats/shoes/valued possessions disappeared, never to be seen again, during the course of the event. All in all it was a success.

Sunday I slept. Dave took the kids to dinner at his parents' house and I got to stay home all by myself (with Grandma). It's been years since I've been left home alone (literally). Maybe since I was a good girl and didn't get into any trouble my husband will leave me home alone again sometime (soon, I hope!).

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm glad your feeling better!

But you better not hold your breath that you'll get left home alone again anytime soon!

Jake camping in the living room

Jake camping in the living room