Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I took two Night Time Tylenol the night before last. My head still feels like it's floating somewhere above my shoulders. I'm not sure if it's a residual from the diphenhydramine in the Tylenol, the psuedoephedrine in my Zyrtec-D allergy pills, a combination of both, or simply that I am (and have always been) a space cadet.

This morning I got ready to load the kids in the van and discovered that Jake was still wearing jammies. Chris went to school without underwear (although- should I really have to check?) and Sam arrived at his school in a short sleeved shirt with no coat. I made Sam wear Jake's coat into the building and now I'm sitting here hoping he didn't let that ruin his whole day!

I did get the bread made. The whole house smells like freshly baked bread- so that's one good thing I did this morning. It's a gray, overcast day and my sense of time is skewed because it looks much earlier than it is. I'd gotten used to seeing the sun on a regular basis and my mind is just not prepared to deal with the unrelenting gray any longer.

Friday is my turn to teach the preschool class at co-op. Our topic for the day is keeping our bodies healthy through good nutrition. I think my plan for the hour is to provide each child with a simple food pyramid chart (the old food pyramid, the new one is weird). I'll cut out pictures of foods ahead of time and ask the kids to classify them as grains, vegetables, fruits, meat, dairy, or treats (including oils, fats, and sweets). Unless someone comes up with a better song before Friday we will sing Yummy, Yummy (the Wiggles). I still need a story to read- anyone have some suggestions? We'll make a simple trail mix with popcorn, cheerios (oat), chex (wheat), dried fruits, sunflower seeds, and mini m&m's. I suppose we could also play fruit basket upset if enough of the class is present on Friday. Will that fill up my hour or do I need more activities?

2 comments:

Amy said...

How about these songs:
Who Stole the Cookies?
Submitted by Pam
Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?
Who, me? Yes, you!
Couldn't be! Then who?
(child's name) stole the cookies from the cookie jar.
Who, me? Yes, you!
Couldn't be! Then who?
Note: Continue for as many children as you want
On Top Of Spaghetti
Submitted by India
On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball, When somebody sneezed.
It rolled off the table and onto the floor
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door.
It rolled in the garden and under a bush
And now my poor meatball is nothing but mush.
So next time you eat spaghetti, All covered with cheese
Protect your poor meatball, In case of a sneeze.
Two Big Lemons (Sung to: This Old Man)
Submitted by Sharron
Way up high, in a tree (hold hands up as high as possible)
Two big lemons smiled at me (put hand on cheeks smile)
So I shook that tree with all my power; (Pretend to shake a tree)
Down came the lemons, whoa, they were SOUR!! (make sour face)

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess it is too late for my suggestion. I was going to suggest you go the more cautionary route and bring in a medley of items they shouldnt be eating: donuts, pure sugar, raw meat, etc. Then, for the activity, you make each child sample the raw meat and say "is this what you want? Why can't you be healthy?" That will traumatize them for LIFE! (Can you believe I am this brilliant and note even a teacher?) :)

Jake camping in the living room

Jake camping in the living room